Don't let Snow and Ice Slow You Down
As winter weather continues to bring the challenges of driving in the snow and ice, we need to be mindful of some winter driving safety tips and good practices. Being stranded is never good but add the dangers of freezing temperatures and the situation can quickly become life threatening.
Tips for driving in winter conditions:
- Check conditions before you leave.
- Keep a safe distance 0 make sure there is plenty of space between you and the vehicle ahead of you.
- Check your tires and make sure you have plenty of tread for better traction. Snow tires are preferred.
- Slow down and give yourself extra time. Drive according to the conditions and not the speed limit. Don't rush.
- Learn how to recover from a skid - how your vehicle responds to a skid depends on whether or not it has rear wheel, front wheel or all wheel drive.
- Be prepared to get your vehicle out of a bog or stuck situation. Always carry a device to enable you to get your vehicle unstuck such as a snow shovel or a set of #Trac-Grabbers. - Trac-Grabbers are a good choice and are listed by AUTOWEEK as Winter Weather Essentials.
Make sure you and your family are safe on the roads this winter. To learn more about Trac-Grabbers click here.